3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, June 5, 2017

Gëzuar Ditë e Femijëve

Gëzuar Ditë e Femijëve! There you have it-another holiday! I love it! In America you've got Mother's Day and Father's Day but here in Albania, why not celebrate "Children's Day" too? It's on June 1st and you just see a bunch of little kids wearing their new dresses and nice clothes as they're headed to school with their paper crowns celebrating their day! It's actually super cute as parents make that day a very special day for them and there are fire works and festivals it's pretty fun! Also-Transfer calls happened this weekend I am STAYING in Tirana for another 3 months! (Our transfers are 3 month transfers) therefore I will be in Tirana for a 1/3 of my mission!-CRAZY! I am getting a new companion: Motra Haggard and I am still a Sister Training Leader so that will be so fun! 

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. Futbol (or "soccer" ;)) is huge here in Albania. When there are soccer games going on, all of the cafes and shops have large screens set up and people are just piled in watching the game! 
In addition to Futbol games on the TV, the only other things that people really watch are the Turkish Soap operas and I'm not even kidding. I was stopping by to grab a byrek one day and the guy in his little bakery on his little screen was enjoying his Turkish soap opera! The captions are in Albanian. Funny story: I was at a lesson and the mother of the lady was sitting there watching her show and said, "I'd die for these shows".  They are really into it.
3. A lot of people say here, "Le të pimë një kafe" which basically means lets go to a lokal (cafe) for a drink. There are cafes and coffee shops EVERYWHERE and that is what people do. They go out for a walk, or go out with a friend to "pimë një kafe".

This past week we had our final mission conference with President Weidmann because we are getting a new mission president in July. I am just so thankful for President Weidnmann and his service!! He has taught me so much about the desire that we need to want to follow Christ, to choose to be obedient to show our love for the Lord, and the joy that we feel as we truly serve the Lord with all of our heart, might, mind and strength. He's from Switzerland so he brought us a little treat, just 4 MASSIVE bars of Switzerland chocolate-Toblerone! Just like the lady with her Turkish Soap Operas, I'd die for that chocolate ;)

I wanted to share of a special experience I had while I was at the conference. One of the sisters that is ending her mission soon is serving in Korcë right now and she shared an experience she had where an entire family got baptized that previous weekend and are now preparing to be sealed in the temple for time and all eternity. I immediately knew the family she was talking about-one of the sweet younger girls I taught when I was in Korcë that was baptized a week after I left now has her whole family baptized with her little brother excited for when he turns 8! I was bawling when she shared the story of this family and how the girl was bawling on the day of her family's baptism just feeling the joy that comes from Christ. That is why I am here. This gospel brings joy! Christ is joy! I am just so grateful for my Savior and Him giving me this opportunity to be apart of the small and simple means that bring about great works and great blessings! It was such a tender experience I will never forget! 

This past week I have been seeing so many miracles as I truly rely on the Lord in all things. It is through the littlest things like seeing a lady sitting on a bench and going over to talk to her and then having her desire come to church and share her feelings of peace she hasn't felt before. It has been the little impressions on the bus to talk to someone and end up having a family approach us desiring to learn more! I realized that as I turn to the Lord in all things through prayer and trusting in Him, it is then that He guides me. It is then that He directs me! I am here to serve Him and He desire for all of His children to come unto Him and partake of His peace, His joy! I have loved the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." I have experienced a lot of fear and feelings of inadequacy on my mission. It is when I turn to the Lord in prayer, that I am strengthened. When I remember HIM and look unto HIM in every thought, I find a strength to keep pushing forward! When I don't have anyone to turn to, I can ALWAYS turn to Him. I know that our Savior loves us individually and we can ALWAYS turn to Him and need not fear. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I hope you have a wonderful week and Happy Children's Day!

Over at a family in one of the wards! We had Family Home Evening!

This is the greatest welcome I've ever received: "Welcome at us".


Me and my sisters! Motra Cajupi is our "mom" as she has trained us three! This is our little family!

I love this girl!


Motra Weidmann (President Weidmann's wife) and I at the conference!

Motra Jones from the MTC! I LOVE this girl!!

Our MTC group reunited!




My companion and I with President and Motra Weidmann.



Our daily treat ;) You think I'm kidding. 

Me and my salon ladies!!!



I literally had a lesson right here on those steps.

There is this cute old couple that dress up in the Albanian traditional outfits and play through the city.

The old men playing their cards and dominos in the park again :)


​A little festival for Children's Day!

-- 
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

No comments:

Post a Comment