3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Qysh Je Prej Gjakovas!! KOSOVO!

QYSH JE? If any of you knew Albanian, you'd realize that I am now speaking Kosovar, or GHEG! (I'll explain). Hello everyone from the beautiful, humble country of Kosovo!! There is some incredible history here and some incredible people here! so an update about my life: My President and the leaders are still trying to figure out how they can get me into Macedonia because Macedonia might not actually let me into the country. We will hope and pray if I make it in and if not, I'm meant to be here in Kosovo. :)

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. I am back to the basics learning the language...let's just say that in Kosovo it's a different Albanian where they have a different vocabulary and grammar structure. The Albanian I've learned is Toskë but in Kosovo they speak in a different dialect: Gheg. It's actually coming along faster than I thought! But I definitely have people tell me, "I didn't understand a single word you said." Super fun :)
2. Kosovo is such a special place! So they just went through war just 10 years ago so the buildings are still getting rebuilt and you see people still recovering from the war in the streets. I'm just amazed at how people are doing after what they've been through.
3. I have never seen so many meat shops in my life. It's like they just eat meat in Kosovo! I also got to have ROOTBEER!! You can't find that in Albania so I was pretty pumped :)

So I wanted to share a little more about Gjakova. I feel like I have entered into Hyrum, Utah with horses everywhere and it's like a little farmland with tractors everywhere. It is a very small city especially in comparison to Tirana. That definitely was a shock but I have absolutely loved it! I am back to a little, little branch (speaking of: Korcë is becoming a BRANCH in SEPTEMBER!) with just 2 hours of church and we have a senior couple as the branch president. I honestly love it so much. When I entered, the branch welcomed me right in and an adorable little girl, Maria, ran right up to me saying, "I love you Motra!" and now she will not leave my side haha I love these people and am so excited to serve here with my new family.

The work here in Kosovo definitely is different than in any other area I've served. There are not as many people out and about and we are doing a lot of finding and talking with everyone. I love it! Something super cool that happened this past week was that Liz, a lady who came to Kosovo 10 years ago to help children with post-traumatic stress after the war, was in town. She is actually a member and at that time, held. Through her influence, the country was opened up to missionaries and the church just 5 YEARS ago so it is still very new here. As she was in town, we were able to serve with her and help run little carnivals for the little kids in Kosovo along with playing some music with them. I got to play my ukulele!! I was so happy and the kids were absolutely thrilled!

Another precious experience I had was we went out into this outer village to visit a family. The mother called us into her humble home so we climbed in and all sat around this massive platter of cabbage. She ripped off chunks of bread for us to feast. After that, we had all these little boys marching through the streets playing their drums and a bunch of the people gathered and started doing traditional dancing to the drums. I just sat there in awe at the beauty of these people. Them being there as a family is what brought them joy. I truly have a testimony of families. They are precious above anything else. 
"Our family is the focus of our greatest work and joy in this life; so will it be throughout all eternity."-Russel M. Nelson
I know that we lived with our Heavenly Father who loves us. He has given us our families. I truly know that we have come from this Heavenly Home and we have our families here to prepare to return back to our Heavenly Home with our eternal families. Life truly has so much more of a meaning and a purpose as we keep in perspective the reality of eternal families. Everything that our Heavenly Father does and His Son, Jesus Christ does is to bring to pass this eternal happiness and eternal joy with our families. I am here to teach how we can achieve this! How truly hope is tangible as we act and follow Christ together as a family. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Have a wonderful week this week and spend time with your family! I love mine with all of my heart.


Entering Kosovo!!

The kids we served there.

We tie dyed shirts with the kids.



I love the horse carriages EVERYWHERE!

This cat just casually slipped into my bag...

I know. I didn't Aloe Vera could be a drink either.

We made hygiene kits with the woman in our branch. Maria is the little girl by me. 




Gjakova. There are mosques EVERYWHERE!

Your typical vehicle on the streets.



​Milkshakes :)

-- 
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

No comments:

Post a Comment