3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Venda e Kalajave

Welcome to the land of Castles!! Honestly Albania is just filled with castles! Am I in a fairy tale land or what? ;) Also, I wanted to share how blessed I was to have been able to Skype my family yesterday for Mother's Day! I love them all so much and I am especially grateful for my mom this Mother's Day for raising me to be close to my Savior so that I can be here to serve these people of Albania. The greatest thing she does for me is helping me feel the pure love of Christ through her love for me! I am forever grateful!

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. Apparently it's not a usual thing to have 2 American girls singing at the top of their lungs to a couple of children in the streets of Albania. We had a little fun street contacting (or I guess you could say street singing) this week :) 
2. FOREIGNERS! You wouldn't think that would be a shock right as I am one of them haha but being surrounded by Albanians, I can't help but get a little thrown off hearing English or seeing a non-Albanian in the street. I guess that's what people think about us when we get a bunch of stares haha 1. I'm blonde and 2. My companion is 6'1". 3. We're not Albanian.
3. I spent a day in Shkodër this past week on an exchange and I stepped into a whole new world! Instead of most people being Muslim, most people are Catholics and the streets are filled with bikes! It was fun to experience a day out of the craziness and noisiness of Tirana but it's so good to be back :)

Wow this past week was just filled with blessings!! I've started writing down something I've learned everyday even the littlest things and I have been learning so much! I want to start sharing with you a little something I've learned each week. Some blessings we experienced this past week was the salon lady and her friend came to church!! I was so happy and they loved it and are now more open and excited to learn more! I truly love the peace I feel when I go to church every week!

Other blessings this week was that this adorable girl that's been learning about the gospel returned to Tirana after a couple of months. She is incredible honestly and it has been such a blessing teaching her and having her come to lessons with so many questions and with her scriptures marked up just ready to learn and to grow closer to Christ! Every time we meet up with her she has this giant ëmbëlsirë (dessert) prepared for us. I guess I'm not complaining ;) I can't express how many desserts I'm given each day...honestly. What to do. I can't say no, and literally, I can't say no.

So I've learned so much this week but one thing has truly changed my perspective in everything and has helped me through so much. I have definitely been feeling a little overwhelmed. How can I talk to everyone? I miss so many opportunities and chances and have a desire to do all that I can to serve the Lord but sometimes I feel that I've fallen short. There's so many weaknesses that I want to strengthen and so much energy I wish I had but I have felt that I have fallen short. I then realized something so real and so tender that has changed everything and brought me peace. That something is my Savior and His strength. His grace. I realized that yes I'm going to mess up. Yes, sometimes I may not be able to overcome a weakness or have 100% energy to do all that I can. That's where Christ's Atonement comes in. When I've done all I can, or maybe even have not done all that I could and may still have even messed up, I have a sweet tender communication between me and my Father in Heaven each night asking for  forgiveness for my weaknesses and mistakes, and then have the opportunity for strength to try again. When we feel like we fall short or that we are not doing enough, we need to turn to our Savior and His strength and His love. The beauty of Christ Atoning sacrifice is that we can repent and try again. It is who we become that is what matters, not a collection of our good works or things we've done in the past. It is more about where we are facing than what we have accomplished that matters. I have truly felt a greater strength as I am always facing my Savior, and trying again. Then each day, we grow. Each day, we come to know our Savior. And each day, we can find peace in knowing we are not alone. I love my Savior and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Have a wonderful week! I honestly love you all so much! I am truly so happy here in my precious home of Albania.

Castle by Shkodër.

We took a little trip up to a kalaja! (Castle)














Some sweet weapons from who knows when :)

A little restaurant up in the castle.


Me and my sweet companion: Motra DeCoursey






Just a wild donkey... :)




​We had to try some Albanian Arabic food!! :)

-- 
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

No comments:

Post a Comment