3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Gëzuar Dita e Falendërive!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! This past week was a CRAZY week with lots going on! One being that on Thursday we met up with the entire mission in Tirana at a beautiful hotel to have a massive Thanksgiving Dinner!! No it was nothing like an American Thanksgiving but everything is always better with an Albanian twist on it :)


Culture Shocks of the Week:

1. Thanksgiving Dinner!! It was the best. You can't have vegetables and potatoes in Albanian without having it fried in olive oil! Also the turkeys were impressive! I especially loved the cube potatoes. Mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, or really any of that doesn't quite exist in Albania.... :) I did manage to make pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! We had a massive dessert buffet as every companionship brought a dessert!

2. Olive trees. Albania is KNOWN for its olives! We actually went out to serve this lady by gathering olives and we spent a lot of our day whacking a tree with a stick it was awesome!

3. POMEGRANATE SEASON! Man, I love pomegranate. Also my kitchen must love it too because it is COVERED in pomegranate juice. Whoops. :)

Highlights from the week: The first one being MY COMPANION Motra McGuire! No her name's not Lizzy.... ;) She is from Southern Utah, SHE RUNS! THIS IS CRUCIAL! And she sings and plays percussion. She is awesome and here is a quote that describes her: "uhh....do you know why I smile a lot?....uhh.....because it's worth it" :) I love her! I am so blessed to be able to train her for these next few months! We've already been running everyday and I couldn't be happier! Also-I'm realizing how OUT OF SHAPE I AM wow I cannot wait to get running again haha

Another highlight was the Thanksgiving Variety Show! I was able to accompany the violin to "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" and sing to "How Can I Be Sure" I'll try to send those :) I just want to share how THANKFUL I am for my Savior and this time that He is giving me to serve Him. I am so thankful for my family and for my family here in Pogradec! I am so thankful for my companion and for all of you and your support! I couldn't be filled with greater gratitude this Thanksgiving season!!

Finally I want to share something so powerful that I learned this week and that is GRATITUDE on the SABBATH DAY. I was able to give a talk to our little group here in Pogradec and as I stood up in front of all of our members for Sacrament meeting I just saw so many that I have grown close to and so many that how impacted my life and how many more people have been added ever since I came in. I was just FILLED with gratitude and I had tears streaming down my face as I just shared with them my gratitude for them and for the Sabbath Day. I learned so much in that moment that I would like to share with you. One being, why do you think we have the Sabbath Day? Isiah shares in the Bible that the Sabbath is a DELIGHT! But why? The Sabbath Day TRULY is a HOLY day! God created that from the beginning. It is sanctified so that we don't have to work, we don't spend money, we partake of the Sacrament in church, and we spend this day worshiping God with our families. Have you ever thought that this day was literally designed for us in order for us to count our blessings? What happens when we count our blessings? We are grateful! We are thankful! And we are HAPPY! I think of "Count Your Blessings"  

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,

When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,

Count your many blessings, name them one by one,

And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

As we keep the Sabbath Day holy, we are showing our gratitude to our Savior and our Heavenly Father. As we keep the Sabbath Day holy, we have this day to be surrounded by things we are blessed with. Our family, our friends in church, and most importantly, our Savior and Heavenly Father. WHAT A BLESSING! Then what happens to the rest of the week? We are regenerated! We are aware of our blessings SO THAT those trials and difficult moments throughout the week are forgotten as we cherish the DELIGHTFUL Sabbath Day.

D&C 78: 19 And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.

Finally, we are able to partake of the Lord's Sacrament EVERY week! We are able to renew our covenant at baptism and be cleansed AGAIN! As we keep the Lord's commandments, take upon ourselves the name of Christ, and always remember us, He promises us something SO SPECIAL!

Mosiah 24: 13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your​ ​backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do​ ​that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that​ ​ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my​ ​people in their afflictions.

​HE WILL DELIVER US! HE WILL BLESS US! This is why we come to church EVERY WEEK! This is why we partake of the Sacrament EVERY WEEK! He sanctified this day not just to be HIS day, but this is a SACRED day for us! We are with our families! We remember our Lord so that He WILL deliver us! I testify of that that the Sabbath Day IS a Delight! It IS a day FILLED with gratitude and I truly felt that! We can now be grateful not just at Thanksgiving time, but always and ESPECIALLY on the Sabbath. I can testify of that with all of my heart. I am SO GRATEFUL for the Sabbath Day. I love my Savior and His work. I testify of that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.​

​Keep sending those Christmas Cards!! :) Love you all!​ Also this week is the start of #LIGHTtheWORLD!! Check it out and just us in LIGHTING the WORLD this Christmas season everyday for 25 days. 

​https://www.mormon.org/?cid=HP_FR_24-11-2017_dMIS_fMORG_xLIDyL1-A_





Yes that is supposed to be potatoes and stuffing :)


An attempt at a Gingerbread House....



My MTC group :) I love them!!


Just some stallions along the beach :)


Pomegranate!!!


My companion, Motra McGuire and me :)​


-- 

Mirupafshim! Të dua!

Motra Olsen


Letters:

Adriatic South Mission

Sister Natalie Olsen

POB 2984

Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"

Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14

Tirana

Albania


(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

Email: natalie.olsen@myldsmail.net


mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment