3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Gëzuar Hallouin!...ose Dita e të Vdekurve?

WOW!!! Lots have happened this last week! One thing being that I swear I have perfume in my blood now!! I'll explain a little more later :) Also HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! Or Happy Day of the Dead! I celebrated a little more of that one. No it's not a thing in Albania...I just have a Mexican companion :)


Culture Shocks of the Week:

1. Apparently I spoke in my sleep. That's not the shocker though....the shocker is that my companion told me I spoke in ALBANIAN!!! WOOOO! Still have yet to dream in Albanian but I'm on my way!

2. This last Tuesday was Halloween! It's kind of a thing here in Albania....it's more of just a random kids in masks screaming through the streets haha that's about it. HOWEVER a NEW culture shock was that I was able to celebrate Day of the Dead with my companion so we made and decorated candy skulls and even made a Pinata for Family Home Evening! No it has nothing to do with Day of the Dead....we just wanted an excuse to make a pinata :)

3. The Albanians are TALENTED with their knitting!! Here's a little something that one of our investigators knit for me :)


Now for the miracles of the week!! Wow I don't even know what happened but we truly have been blessed with all of these incredible people here in Pogradec! Two people we were able to meet with this last week one called US! The other we met passing by the perfume shop she works at. The first one I apparently met 2 months ago and she called us from a pass along card and the other one, we were walking through the vacant streets of Pogradec late at night after all of our lessons fell through just looking for something breathing when we passed by all of these shops and passed by the perfume shop. We decided to turn around and approached her and she was like, "I was hoping you'd turn back! I've always wanted to learn about Christ!" We then now have been teaching her at work and she doesn't have us leave without COATING us in heaps of perfume. I probably sweat perfume now haha but hey-always smelling good :) haha


Funny quote from someone we are teaching (the one that kicks EVERYONE out of her cafe so she can go to church) after church we went to visit her and she was like, "I was like counting down the minutes until I could go to church" (do we ever do that?) She then said, "I was so happy I just felt like I was at a party!" She went on about HOW happy she felt in church! A joy unlike any other that she's ever felt! She's now preparing for BAPTISM! I am so excited for her!!


I just want to share a little something that has come to change my perspective of everything! THANKS to my wonderful family, they sent me a gratitude journal that I have come to use every day. I gotta tell you-on the worst of days they were the BEST of days! I still found SO MUCH to be thankful for! I swear things are so much brighter as I just look to extend that thank you for something so little and for the little things I am SO THANKFUL for! Gratitude truly is a light in the darkness! I was listening to a talk from President Monson in having an attitude of gratitude. Do you know how much better life is to just be grateful for the little things around us? And do you know how we develop this attitude of gratitude? I suggest to start a gratitude journal. To start off, I am so grateful for my family. SO grateful! I am so grateful for this GOSPEL! I am so grateful to be a missionary. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else in the world at this time. I am then am so grateful that I have this time to then prepare for my future family. I am especially grateful for my Savior and how He continues to change my life and the lives of those around me. I challenge you everyday of this Thanksgiving month to share with others that you are grateful for them.

Love,

Motra Olsen


No comments:

Post a Comment