3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Gëzuar Ditë e Dashurisë!...or Beqareve?

Gëzuar Ditë e Dashurisë! (Valentine's Day)

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. February 14th is Ditë e Dashurisë and February 15th is Ditë e Beqareve (Day of Singles). So I was talking to some members and they told me about Ditë e Beqareve-me thinking there's like this Albanian festivity that they do for singles on that day asks, "How do you usually celebrate Ditë e Beqareve?" They respond "vetë" (alone). 
2. The people here are so funny. I love them. We were over at these sweet lady's home. She was telling us about the hazelnuts she got. She's like, "Where's your bag?" She then grabs my bag and just dumps a bunch of the nuts straight into the bag along with my books and papers haha
3. Fortune telling in cups of coffee is a thing. It makes me think of the grim from Harry Potter haha

I just want to share how much this gospel truly does change lives. As I have been here, I have been looking for every opportunity talking to people in the streets, inviting people to church and activities, and offering service to people to share with them the light and happiness that is our Savior Jesus Christ. I have seen so many people coming from losing a loved one, from addictions, and from difficult trials that has found the peace that comes through following our Savior Jesus Christ. Why is it so important that we follow Christ by having faith in Him, repenting, going into the waters of baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end? This is the only way for us to return back with our Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ with our families! What is the purpose of life? We are here to prepare to meet God through learning and growing through our trials and following Jesus Christ. We are able to understand what is joy as we experience what is pain and sorrow. What a blessing! Not only do we have this beautiful gift that is life and joy on earth, but we are given an even greater gift that is through Christ's sacrifice, the Atonement, we all have that ability to change, repent, follow His example, and return back home to our Father in Heaven.

This past week, I have had the opportunity to teach multiple times about this plan: the Plan of Salvation. It was until this week that I realized the impact of this message-this love that God has for us that He has given us a plan to return home! As we taught some families who have recently lost family members, their tears of joy reminded me of the joy of this knowledge! Life is hard. We face trials, struggles, losses, sorrow, and pain. However, that is not the purpose of life. There is so much more. It is through our Savior that we find joy and peace. It is through our Savior that we work towards that eternal purpose of living with our Father in Heaven and our families forever. As we keep that in mind, trials are blessings as we learn and grow from them. As we keep that in mind, these struggles are but a small moment. As we turn to our Savior and follow Him, therein lies true happiness. God has a greater plan for us as He KNOWS us as we are His children. These trials we face are what we need as they are the will of God. As I think of the will of God, I have thought about that it is what God wants for us. I have then come to realize that the will of God is more than that. God knows us individually. He knows how we will react naturally in certain circumstances and in certain situations. Because God knows us, we experience certain trials because He knows it is only through that that we can grow. God will never give us a trial that we cannot handle. It's as if the will of God is more than what God wants for us, but He wants it because it is what we need for ourselves. He loves us so much that His will is for US. The will of God it may take time to accept it, but I promise as we look back, we will see how we have grown. We can see how we have discovered happiness. Then, as we do that, we can see that the Lord has been here with us all along. I know that to be true. God has a plan for us: each of us. I have found peace knowing that I can put my trust in my Father in Heaven with infinite love for each of us. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week and Happy Valentine's Day!

Standing on top of Korcë! In Albania, usually they have a cross on the top of every mountain. Today we went on a P-Day trip where we hiked to the cross by Korcë and looked out to see all of Korcë! We also went to this beautiful WWII memorial cemetery here in Korcë.


World War II Cemetery.



The nuts in my bag. I love it hahaha

ALBANIA IS SO BEAUTIFUL!

Chilling on the top of a mountain.


My companion Motra Willey! I love her! She is such an amazing teacher and has such a sweet heart. I am learning so much from her!

Church on the top of the mountain.


​Altin was baptized this past week! We brought some people from Korcë to Pogradec and met up with the people there. I truly love these people so much!

-- 
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

No comments:

Post a Comment