3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Elbasan: My New Home!

HELLO EVERYONE from the city of Elbasan!! This city is the coolest thing because it is built around a massive castle from ancient times. It's beautiful, it's not like my little Pogradec, and I know about no one. Neither does my companion! Speaking of my companion, I have something really special to share. I'm going to tell it with the pictures :)
About over a year ago I served in Korcë and we had a lot of contact with Pogradec as they were both recently opened together at the time. I have known Greta (the one in red) ever since the beginning of my mission! 

I had to put this photo because it's extremely cheesy haha but about 6 months ago I went into Pogradec and we knew absolutely no one but I remembered Greta from over a year ago-before she was even baptized. When I came into Pogradec, She was the first person I met up with in Pogradec and we've been able to teach her and do mission prep with her ever since. She's been baptized for just about a year now and has been super excited about a mission. She was one of the first members in Pogradec!


I've actually been able to teach her family and she has made such an impact helping her family to be baptized. I was able to help do her mission paperwork trying to translate for the dentist and everything. We went out to get all her supplies and have her get all prepared for her mission! She will be the first missionary from Pogradec!


Then as I went to the trainer and new missionary meeting, 4 new sisters came in along with Greta-now Motra Cela. My mission president, President Anderson was asking Motra Cela who were the missionaries that taught her. He was showing us how much we make an impact on the lives of these people. The first person she said was-"Motra Olsen". I about bawled. She shared that yes, originally she was taught by Elders, but that Motra Olsen taught her the gospel especially as her first sister missionary. I then was assigned to train Motra Cela! She told me afterwards that she was so thankful that I would be her trainer because I'm like family to her.



Wow all I can say is that I never thought that coming into my mission about 16 months ago, within that time, I'd teach, and experience all that I have just so that I would serve with Motra Cela in the end. All I can say is that you missionaries out there-you make an IMPACT on those around you, whether you know it or not. I am just so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and that He has given me so much. It was hard leaving my last companion-Motra Mcguire-I love her SO MUCH! But I'm looking forward to seeing what this final transfer has in store. 

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. Before I left Pogradec, I went over to a member family's home and they made me and the other departing Elder lale-a funeral dessert. It was funny because the son told us-"Wow, you're probably the first living people to eat their own lale!"
2. I've now moved into a WARM city! Well....warmer. As in there's no snow. It just snowed a TON right after I left Pogradec!
3. This is just a cool story! I had dinner with some Americans while I was in Tirana for a couple of days. The woman was married to an Albanian here-who was in my uncle Paul's class at BYU-I which was AWESOME! There was another couple here adopting an Albanian. He served in this missionary 10 years ago! It was weird to all talk in English and have American food.....
4. Because my companion is Albanian, it doesn't matter if I talk to people in the streets in Albanian, they still turn to Motra Cela and say, "are you here to translate for her?" haha

I just want to share my gratitude for the time I had in Pogradec and my sweet companion I left, Motra Mcguire, and my companion I have now. I'm so thankful for the Elders being willing to show us the streets and help us with all of the people because Elbasan has been opened for like 10 years now! I'm thankful for the members reaching out and we are doing all we can to help the branch here in Elbasan. It'll take some work but good thing I love work :)

I just wanted to share a scripture that really stood out to me this week:
2 Nephi 5: 27 And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness.
Interesting about this scripture is that the whole chapter, chapter 5, talks about how Nephi and whoever would join him, was commanded to leave his brothers Laman and Lemuel. The Spirit of the Lord could not be with Laman and Lemuel as they would not listen to the words of the Lord or keep the commandments. I loved that Nephi and his people, as they listened to the Lord and kept the commandments-they lived after a manner of HAPPINESS! How cool is that! I have seen that we are happy when we are obedient. I'm seeing that on my mission. While everything else can be going wrong, at least we can be obedient and we will feel joy. I testify of that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

LOVE YOU ALL! Don't know what's going to happen this week but I'm excited to find out!

Once entrance to the castle in the middle of the city!

This is just down the street from my home!


I MET MOTRA MCCLUNG! (Sadie's roomate) I got to take her out in the streets on the first day so that was fun!

Motra Cela and I on Valentine's Day.

Me and Motra Jones!!! I got to serve with her for 2 days this week as we waited for our new missionaries!!! I LOVE HER!!!

​Me and the gentleman from my uncle's class!​


--
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)



No comments:

Post a Comment