3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, March 19, 2018

He is ALWAYS THERE.

Gëzuar Ditën e Verës! On March 14 it's Summer's Day!! It's not really celebrated at all here in Kosovo because it's more a Albanian holiday but for Motra Hysa from Vlorë, Albania, we brought Summer's Day HERE! It was also her REBIRTHDAY (Baptism Day)! So HAPPY SUMMER'S DAY!! I plan on celebrating this holiday every year!


Culture Shocks of the Week:

1. In ancient times, only 2 seasons existed: summer and winter so summer's day began on March 14th and that's why they celebrate it then. Usually on March 13th, people have bonfires to burn the old and begin with the new. We didn't do that haha If you are the first one to wake up, you will have the most energy all year. Luckily I have the nightly prayer call that wakes me up at 3am....

2. On summer's day they usually dance so we had a little summer's day party with the members and their friends and danced the traditional dance-valle! Usually the cookie, ballokume, is made but we made snickerdoodles and it was a close second :) They also have spinach byrek and hide money in the byrek and whoever gets the slice that year is the lucky one. We made spinach byrek! But forgot to put in the money....

3. Finally on summer's day, they make bracelets called verore with red and white twine and you wear it until you see the first sparrow which indicates spring then hang it up on a tree. If a sparrow takes it away, then you have luck for the year! Usually the houses are lined with flowers as well and you sleep on olive branches! It's really fun and the people are definitely superstitious but it was a blast! 


So this week there were many mini miracles or what I like to call: Tender Mercies. Tender mercies are EVERYWHERE! They are the hand of the Lord in our lives. We really do a TON of tracting and finding continuously in Kosovo as we also are strengthening all our recent members here. We had many tender mercies running into some people we've taught in the past and talking with this super sweet family in their doorstep who then came right to church with us the next day and brought a FRIEND!! I also had a man about shove me down the stairs and not call me not so good names haha BUT the tender mercy was my companions being there and finding things to laugh about. I love them. We also had a bunch of people in church AND some families from our kids in English Course come to our Book of Mormon reading. The little things matter :)


A special moment this last week was yesterday, Motra Hysa and I were asked to give talks in church. We were informed the day before and when we asked about the topic, we received "You pick!" Dang it! That's the worst! We were both frantically finding out what to talk about the next morning. However when we came to church we both just felt to talk about how Christ has always been THERE for us. I shared of the story of Christ's resurrection as many don't really understand what that means. This part stood out to me

John 20: 

11 ¶ But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,


12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.


13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.


14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.


15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.


16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.


17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.


Christ truly has RISEN! And He was resurrected for us. What stood out to me was that He took the time, before ascending up to His Father, to be THERE for Mary and ask her why she was weeping. Do we realized that Christ does that to US? Every time we cry and through EVERYTHING we go through, He is THERE and asks us why we weep? I actually shared a story I remember vividly from my baptism when I was 8 years old. I came up out of the water of my baptism and began to cry because I felt such a warmth and peace in my heart. While I was changing back into my white dress, my mom asked me "Why are you crying?" I realized that in that moment that Christ was THERE! I felt His Spirit. What touched me is that my mom asked just what Christ asked Mary as if He were asking me that. I know that He was there. I felt it and I know that this, the gospel of Jesus Christ is TRUE. It is SO TRUE and Christ is THERE if we truly ALLOW Him to be. Motra Hysa then shared how Christ was there when she lost her dad. When no one else truly understood how she felt, Christ did. He knew EXACTLY how it felt and was THERE for her. Ever since she was baptized 4 years ago, she has found that He has always been there. It was just a powerful Sacrament meeting and I'm thankful that Christ was THERE and the He is ALWAYS THERE. I love my Savior. He is always there. I testify of that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. When has He been there for you? 


I love you all! Have a wonderful week and REMEMBER Christ especially during this Easter time!

Matching sweaters with my comps

Don't know why I'm posing like that...don't worry about it haha but this is a cute member family here in Gjakova. We celebrated summer's day with them.

Motra Hysa's REBIRTHDAY day! We celebrated (She said it's better than her real birthday) She's now been baptized for 4 years!

Don't know why the kid has a gun hahaha but I love these kids that attack me every time I pass by. When I was here in Gjakova last summer I helped out with this music program and they all still remember me!


​I really don't know what this pic is......


I live in this apartment building. We live RIGHT by the barber shop and all the barber shop guys.....


-- 

Mirupafshim! Të dua!

Motra Olsen


Letters:

Adriatic South Mission

Sister Natalie Olsen

POB 2984

Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"

Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14

Tirana

Albania


(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

Email: natalie.olsen@myldsmail.net


mormon.org


No comments:

Post a Comment