3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, April 23, 2018

"We're the Town Greeters"

Ahh this week was such a good week!!! Lots of stuff has happened and I cannot even begin to explain how grateful I am to the Lord and EVERYTHING He has given me throughout these past 18 months :)

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. Everything is backwards here: People shake their head yes, water the sidewalks-not the yard, and DON'T LOOK before they cross the road!!! Man driving in this city drives me crazy sometimes haha
2. Albanians know how to party and try to make EVERYTHING a party!!! We got invited to a very special event this last Saturday in Tirana in Albania to celebrate the 25 years of Albania being dedicated to preaching the gospel in Albania. President Oaks dedicated Albania 25 years ago and EVERYONE was invited! I'll tell more about it later.
3. Whenever we meet with people, we always have tea and PIZZA is only about $1 here!! That's about all we eat. And it's GOOD pizza in Kosovo! We each order individual pizzas :)

So there were so many special moments from this last week. First, I want to share a typical day in Gjakova. We go about contacting like, all the time. It's awesome actually. Most people don't stop to talk haha but people are very friendly! Funniest comment from Motra Ahlstrom this past week after we got rejected in the street, "That's okay. We're the town greeters". IT'S SO TRUE!!! I basically just get out "Hello!" Or "Good Morning" and then am very promptly rejected with "I don't have time" Well hope you have a great day! I'm just hear to greet you anyway! There's no discouragement though or lack of faith. Just pleasant surprises when people actually stop or accept a second lesson :)

SPEAKING OF PLEASANT SURPRISES we had a MIRACLE this last week. So we don't know how we got this lady's number, but we called her and she told us to meet at her daughter's school. We showed up not even knowing what her daughter looks like and she wasn't there. There was a bakery close by and I felt an impression to just go and eat a byrek at the bakery. No-it wasn't my hunger that prompted it, but that probably was a factor haha however the moment we walked out, this girl came up to us just arriving and she was like, "Are you the girls that keep calling my mom?" We were pumped. We then walked with her to her home and had an AWESOME lesson on Christ with her and her mom and they both came to church on Sunday and are preparing for baptism! We are so excited! What touched me was that the Lord is so practical. He directed us where we needed to be at the right place at the right time....and He didn't leave us hungry :)

WE ARE ALSO TEACHING A FAMILY!!! I don't have too much to say about them other than the fact that we've been teaching them in English Course and they are so wonderful! We are excited to work with them! Truly, there have been SO MANY miracles from this past week and throughout each and every day. I LOVE my mission.

A very special, unforgettable moment I had this last week was going to Tirana to the 25th Anniversary of the dedication of the Dedication of Albania. I got to say goodbye to SO MANY that have impacted my life for the last time there. As I sat in the auditorium watching this concert and hearing the testimonies and the music, I couldn't help but just sob. I just looked out at 18 months that the Lord has given me and at so many that I have worked with and come to love. I was so happy to hear about people coming back to Christ who have fallen away, people with MISSION calls in past areas I've served, and many more fruits to seeds I have been able to plant in the past. I was filled with gratitude in that moment. I even got to hear Greta's testimony (my previous companion from Pogradec) as she's heading out on her FULL-TIME mission today! This scripture has impacted me:

D&C 16:6 And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen.

This is so true. This is the work of the Lord, but He has given me this time and opportunity to find joy in His fruit. I am just filled with indescribable joy that I may rest with these people in the kingdom of my Heavenly Father. I cannot testify to you enough of the POWER and JOY of missionary work. It is the greatest service we could ever do-to bring souls unto our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I encourage you all to share the gospel with those around you! Please be that light! Please live what you believe and share that! We can only find true, pure joy through Christ. As we constantly look to share the gospel whether it be through our example or through our testimony, it is through that that we find the greatest joy. I testify of that. It is of the MOST WORTH. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love being a missionary. If any of you are hesitating whether or not you need to serve, just do it. It will change you. Christ will change you. And you will find pure joy in the service of the Lord.


Spending our day in Old Town in Gjakova!! It's super cute!!


This ice cream actually has a sweet taste of plastic. This was just seconds before the trashcan. Hope that's not too cold ;)


Slushies with Delila :)




LOOK AT HOW BEAUTIFUL TIRANA IS!!


Pleasant surprises :) I love seeing my favorite people!


KORCA FAMILY!!!

Greta!!!! She's heading out on her mission soon!!!


My Pogradec family!


GJERGJI!!! And Sabiko!!! I LOVE THEM!!!!


Monikda from Korcë!!!


Personal pizzas for $1 :) Hope that beats Caesars' ;)


Albanian instruments :) I LOVE MUSIC!


Old Town :)




Traditional wedding gowns in Albania :)



Life is good :)

-- 
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)




No comments:

Post a Comment