3 Nephi 5:13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Monday, January 23, 2017

"Your eyes are really bright but I have no idea what you're saying"

We We Pershëndetje!! I just wanted to thank all of you for your Christmas cards and gifts you sent me! Yes, it took about a month to get to me. It's been nice to relive Christmas again!

Culture Shocks of the Week:
1. I'm in the city well known for its cooking! Score! Also, the food here, it's base is ALWAYS dough or bread. The other day, I had bugace or in other words: a bread sandwich. It is rolls of dough in between 2 pieces of bread. 
2. I love traveling in Albania. We had to go to the city Elbason this last week and along the way, in the middle of nowhere, I saw a tank of fish and a little market. 
3. Traditionally here in Albania, when you get a haircut, you hit the back of that person's head for luck. 

One funny story this last week, I wasn't speaking very loud to this older lady so when I was teaching her, she just came right in front of me, stared at me holding my face, and said, "Your eyes are really bright but I have no idea what you're saying" my companion and one of our branch members helping us with the lesson really enjoyed that one and bursted out laughing.

So we had the sweetest lady, Frida, get baptized on Saturday! In every lesson, she just says, "I want to follow the Lord's path". She, having little, gives SO much! She brings us bags of fruit and food and is always giving! I am amazed at her faith and her immediate commitment to following the Lord. She truly has a light to her and does all that she can to serve and follow the commandments of the Lord. It was so special witnessing her baptism as a step to following the example of Christ. She truly is an example to me.

One thing I wanted to share was how blessed are we to have commandments from our Heavenly Father. Commandments are not limitations, not even close! If anything, through them, they make us free! We are given commandments because it is through obedience and diligence to change and follow Jesus Christ that we find the greatest happiness and the greatest peace. It is through obeying the commandments that we are blessed and that we show our gratitude for all that we have!

Book of Mormon: Mosiah 2: 41
41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

I am truly grateful to be here serving these people and sharing the message that we have a Father in Heaven that loves us SO MUCH and that He truly gives us so many ways to obtain happiness. It is then up to us to seek that happiness and remember that we always have our Savior and His sacrifice that enables us change, to improve, and to find the greatest peace and joy. I truly feel that as I serve as His representative every day! I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love you! Have a wonderful week!

Old Korcë


Next dish: Pastica!! It's basically Mac&Cheese, but better :)


We went to the city of Elbason this last week and the city is built around this giant castle! It is so cool!



Frida was baptized!!

Our Korcë group that came with us to Elbason to Frida's baptism!

One of 2 church buildings in all of Albania! It is gorgeous! It's in Elbason.





Motra Cajupi and Aleksia and I in Elbason.

There are a bunch of castles here! 

The random tank of fish in the middle of nowhere haha



Anybody want an eel?



So I'm addicted....this is my favorite dessert of all time: Creme Bugace!



I learned how to make the most popular dish in Albania: Byrek! Perks of having an Albanian as a companion :)


-- 
Mirupafshim! Të dua!
Motra Olsen

Letters:
Adriatic South Mission
Sister Natalie Olsen
POB 2984
Bulevardi "Gjergj Fishta"
Qendra "Alpas", Shkalla #5, Apt #14
Tirana
Albania

(If you can't send it with the POB box number, you can just send it without it. I'll still get it)

No comments:

Post a Comment